Thursday, September 02, 2010

Tiny Houses



I have a friend who lives in a small house.
It's not "tiny" but it is very, very small - especially when considering the three kiddos.
She lives there very comfortably and has got me considering a few things - which I'll share with you.

Tiny houses have a lot to offer:
They are inexpensive to build
They are quick to build
They are simple – and we need more simplicity in our lives...
They are easier to clean and maintain
A tiny house beats a large tent - hands down.

But I have WAY too much stuff to even consider living in one ......for now.

I have a lot of stuff because I live PACE - I have for example 4 shovels, 4 rakes, 2 chain saws and multiples of most things: cars, clothes, water filters, cooking implements and so on.

I have a lot of stuff because I have been economically blessed.
I have a lot of stuff because I have been at this a very long time.
And I don't want to give it up just to live in a tiny house or even a small house.
I LIKE my current house.

But we have been considering (to various degrees) .......moving.
So that's ONE
.............

I think tiny houses are a great idea for those who bug out.

Why? Because bugger-outers won't have a lot of stuff (typically). The concept of bugging out (according to Joe) is to MOVE!
Right now! Quickly! When it's time to go - GO!

Flee or die.

So, you won't be able to carry a lot of stuff.
So your destination dwelling, unless you have pre-stocked it (and most cannot afford to), need not be large.
.......................

Therefore, I think if one is expecting company during some Bad Time in the future - building some tiny houses now would be a good idea.
Some people call these tiny houses sheds. I have several on High Prairie Acres.
I have a horse tack shed, a POL shed, a wood shed, a goat shed, and well, you get the idea.

But if we are going to move our friends and their families into our sheds we have to consider some needed modifications– if not now, at least easily and quickly accomplished when the company shows up. One big one is ventilation. No one would want to live in my tack shed right now – it is stiflingly hot. And when you shut the door – it’s dark. Another consideration is heat – it gets cold here on the prairie. Insulation and a wood burner would be very nice. One may want to consider “kitchens", toilets, showers, and what not also.

Lest this seem overly harsh to my potential future guests – I can switch perspectives. I would be much happier living in a tiny house on the property of one of my friends than I would be crashing on his living room floor... with my family.... for possibly a very long and indefinite period of time. I would be very happy to have in or adjacent to that tiny house the ability to prepare my own meals, have some quiet time, and take care of personal hygiene.

I think if one has a bug out location selected, building a tiny house there now would be a good thing – it would sure beat living in a tent. It would be better than waiting until one had enough money to build the vacation home or super cabin because we may not have much time.

Anyway, that’s what I have been thinking about for the past 24 hours. I just started a discussion you are welcome to join if you desire.

I'll see ya out there!

And if it seem evil unto you to serve the LORD, choose you this day whom ye will serve; whether the gods which your fathers served that were on the other side of the flood, or the gods of the Amorites, in whose land ye dwell: but as for me and my house, we will serve the LORD. – Joshua 24:15

.................................................................................

If you have any comments I’d love to hear them.
If they really interest me, I may even post them.
You can reach me at Joe

You can also join us to discuss this and other issues at Viking Preparedness Forums

Prepared Americans for a Strong America

2 Comments:

At 4/9/10 14:14, Blogger Mayberry said...

Great post. And good idea for groups, several tiny houses situated around a common building for cooking, eating, bathroom facilities, etc.

 
At 6/9/10 07:21, Blogger Anji said...

Wouldn't it be better to have something mobile like a caravan or camping car, or even a houseboat? I see that the tiny house in the picture has wheels

 

Post a Comment

<< Home