Monday, May 24, 2010

Seeking Weakness



If you read my book, Survivalist Family or you read enough of my blog posts you will know that I am "all about planning".

There is a lot to "planning" and there are multiple variations but I'd like to talk about something I heard Tony Blauer say (caution - language alert for the link): "Great warriors seek weakness."

But first, who is Tony Blauer? Tony Blauer is one of three Warrior Trainers out there who I really respect for their “thinking outside the box”. The other two are Gabe Suarez and Southnarc.

I came across Tony Blauer (whom I have never met) on the Crossfit site. My wife and I have been Crossfitting for a bit over two months now and it has made a WORLD of difference. This post is not about that – but I recommend you check them out. Do not be intimidated by the studs and studettes on the site – Crossfit is for normal people too. Maybe I’ll do a blog post on it someday.

Anyway, Blauer said , "Great warriors seek weakness" and that struck a chord with me.

This weakness is not the weakness in the enemy but weakness in oneself.
Constantly striving to improve is one major part of achieving greatness.

Blauer said, "If you had to beat you, where would you attack you? What would you do psychologically, emotionally, physically, to attack yourself?"

See? We cannot improve if we do not identify deficiencies.
We cannot identify deficiencies if we don't admit (at least to ourselves) that we have them.

And we don't like to DO that.
We like to stress the positive.
We like to DO what we are GOOD at.
Most don't like looking, feeling, BEING awkward - so we don't train on those things we are not good at (poor English, I know - those things at which we are bad).
And if we fail to train at/for the things we are not good at - we won't get better.

I think the same thing could apply to survival/preparedness in general, right?

This is why we have to imagine the unimaginable.
This is why - to TRULY prepare, we cannot default to "well, that would never happen to me so I won't think about that.”

Take some time.
Examine yourself. EVALUATE yourself and your true level of preparedness.

Seek your weaknesses

Then address them.

For though he was crucified through weakness, yet he liveth by the power of God. For we also are weak in him, but we shall live with him by the power of God toward you. Examine yourselves, whether ye be in the faith; prove your own selves. Know ye not your own selves, how that Jesus Christ is in you, except ye be reprobates?
- 2 Corinthians 13:4 – 5

.................................................................................
If you have any comments I’d love to hear them.
If they really interest me, I may even post them.
You can reach me at Joe
You can also join us to discuss this and other issues at Viking Preparedness Forums

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home