Monday, October 05, 2009

Life

I know, I know…it’s been way too long.
Sorry.
Life has happened and I have just been too busy to sit down and blog.
I resolve to do better.



Woods Walkin'
Went out with a couple friends Woods Walkin’. We built traps and snares, constructed a lean to shelter, discussed fire reflectors and did a wild plant identification walk amongst other things. It’s good just to get out there and smell the smells, see the sights, and feel God’s creation all around you.


Kill, Clean and Butcher
I have given two classes and taught five students to kill, clean and butcher rabbits. Not a “fun” thing but necessary for the cycle of life. I remember LOVING the movie “Jeremiah Johnson” when I was a kid. Man, that’s what I wanted to BE. I made a buckskin shirt, built a Green River knife from a kit and even got a Thompson Center .50 caliber Hawken kit. Then I wrote the American Mountain Man association (no email back then) and was just crushed when they told me I had to be 18 years old to join. But back to the movie: years later when I watched it as an adult I realized there was a lot wrong with that tale. For one thing (and our point of the moment) Jeremiah comes back from some woods walkin’ and just dumps a rabbit carcass – with the hide still on it, into a cook pot. Yeah, riiiiiiight. The students I taught over the past few weeks at least know how to properly deal with a rabbit.


Canning
Pears and apples are all in and we have been giving classes on canning and “putting up” reserves of food. This is becoming a several times a week deal and we do it at our house, at the church and at other folks’ houses. This is also a time of fellowship and just slowing down to be with each other. Plus we end up with yummy, nutritious food!



Church
Our church has been growing by leaps and bounds and not just in numbers (although we have seen a 30% increase over the past two months) but also in the Spirit, in Discipline, in Works and in Faith. This keeps me very happily very busy.

We had a little bonfire the other day to which we invited all our friends and family – whether the attend our church or not. The weather was perfect, we had a cloudy start to the day but it ended with clear, cool skies lit by a full moon – and our two fires. We sang and played instruments, and ate, and talked and just fellowshipped and it was wonderful.


The Immediate Future
Iron Viking is coming up soon and we’ve been doing a lot to get ready for it as well. I’m quite sure it will provide fodder for future entries as well as some gear I’m going to test out this week before the adventure begins.

Don’t give up on me – I haven’t given up on you!

In this was manifested the love of God toward us, because that God sent his only begotten Son into the world, that we might live through him. - 1 John 4:9

.................................................................................

If you have any comments I’d love to hear them.
If they really interest me, I may even post them.
You can reach me at Joe

You can also join us to discuss this and other issues at Viking Preparedness Forums

Prepared Americans for a Strong America

1 Comments:

At 5/10/09 19:47, Blogger Laurie Neverman, The Common Sense Woman said...

Glad you are all doing well and keeping busy - and making sure people know to skin rabbits before cooking. It's been crazy season around here, too, getting the last of the cold-sensitive garden produce in and preserved. I think your primary audience understands that life outranks blog.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home