Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Remembering Combinations



As economic times get tougher and crime statistics worsen, more and more of us are buying safes and security containers, locks, and other security devices. Many of these security items allow one to change the combination to one of the owner’s choosing. The problem comes in remembering the combination.

See, we are not supposed to pick birthdays, or phone numbers, or anything easy that some bad guy could intuit. We certainly should not write it down anywhere. Additionally, one should not pick numbers that all end in 0 or 5 – people do this because it’s easy to see on the dial. One should also not pick numbers that get larger or smaller in series for example: 22-34-46 or: 93-78-45. Remembering random numbers is tough – what’s a guy or gal to do?

A trick I was taught when designing a combination is to think of a word with the same number of letters as there are digits in your combination.
Say you can set a combination for three two-digit numbers - pick a six letter word.

Like.....oh.... VIKING

Now look on a telephone key pad: V is an 8, I is a 4, K is a 5 and so on so VIKING =845464 so the combination would be 84-54-64

Now, I don't recommend you choose a combo all ending in the same number but you get the idea

You can also think up a longer word but just use the first six letters like oh,..... LONGBOAT L=5, O=6, N=6, G=4, B=2, O=6 so your combination would be 56-64-26

It's easier for many folks to remember a word than a series of numbers.

You can also try and make a word from a given combo (I'll just make up a combo and see if it works)...
32-56-74
hmmmm… DAKOSI that's Japanese for ...... I have no idea but it sounds like a word to me

I bet if I played with this a bit I could find a real word but you get the idea (I hope).

Hey – I’ll see ya out there.

But know this, that if the goodman of the house had known in what watch the thief would come, he would have watched, and would not have suffered his house to be broken up. – Matthew 24:43
.................................................................................

If you have any comments I’d love to hear them.
If they really interest me, I may even post them.
You can reach me at Joe

You can also join us to discuss this and other issues at Viking Preparedness Forums

Prepared Americans for a Strong America

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home