Friday, July 31, 2009

Kansas Kitty



And they keep saying there are no mountain lions in Kansas...

My buddy was coming home from hospital mid day.
This mountain lion ran across the front of his driveway and into his backyard. The tail was about as long as the body.

My friend went into his house, picked up his camera and went to the back door - there it was peeking at him around the corner of his shed. He took the pic and only then realized it was standing when he took it.

That pile of pavers is 18" high.
This is a juvenile mountain lion.

This was a residential neighborhood.

Where's Momma?
Where's Daddy?
Where are the siblings?

Hey! Where is Fluffy?
Fluffy, Fluffy - come here, Fluffy!

And he cried, A lion: My lord, I stand continually upon the watchtower in the daytime, and I am set in my ward whole nights: And, behold, here cometh a chariot of men, with a couple of horsemen. And he answered and said, Babylon is fallen, is fallen; and all the graven images of her gods he hath broken unto the ground. - Isaiah 21:8 - 9

.................................................................................

If you have any comments I’d love to hear them.
If they really interest me, I may even post them.
You can reach me at Joe

You can also join us to discuss this and other issues at Viking Preparedness Forums

Prepared Americans for a Strong America

6 Comments:

At 31/7/09 08:48, Blogger Sena said...

Hard to say from the photo, but given the markings on the legs, ears and bit of ruff around neck/face, I'd say it looks more like a common american bobcat. If thats the case, that is likely to be a full-size adult. Still a large predator cat that could mess you up bad if you cornered it, but not as formidable as even a young mountain lion. More likely to run off than attack. They're relatively common throughout the midwest and plains, especially in more remote areas - though not necessarily. City sightings are not unheard of.

 
At 31/7/09 09:12, Blogger Joe said...

I hear ya, Sena.
But bobcats don't have tails as long as their body and this cat ran in front of my buddy's car as he was pulling into his driveway - it had a LONG tail.

He said it still had some dark splotch markings on it but it was definitely a lion (albeit a young one), not a cat.

 
At 1/8/09 07:11, Blogger Unknown said...

KDWP had denied the longtailed kitties in KS for decades now. They just don't wanna scare the JoCo folks. There IS a breeding population down in the Flint Hills, and probably NEKS (JeffCo I'm pretty sure) too. Just wait until one of 'em snacks on a jogger on the Kaw Levee trail, or a student on West Campus in Lawrence...

 
At 7/8/09 17:06, Blogger Laurie Neverman, The Common Sense Woman said...

Yeah, the DNR spent weeks trying to tag one of our non-existent mountain lions here in Wisconsin last year, too.

 
At 8/8/09 16:54, Blogger tjbbpgobIII said...

I have seen two(black panthers?) here in middle Alabama in the last 20 years and each time I've reported them the game warden says they don't exist in this area. Others have seen them as well. I guess they just don't want to scare off folks.

 
At 28/8/09 07:14, Blogger Kellie said...

I first thought "bobcat" but then read how it's tail was about as long as it's body. Juveniles will keep some of their spotting and markings for a bit. I also would wonder "where is mommy". Not 'daddy' so much since they aren't usually around anyways. So I'm pretty much in agreement with your buddy: a young puma. Also, in some areas, the puma is smaller than other areas but I say he/she is young due to the juv markings still visible. They should still be with mommy. They may have gotten separated. I am thinking that if it doesn't find mommy soon, it may starve...or it will have to learn on it's own how to hunt pretty quick.

I had a friend direct me to this and I wanted to thank you for posting it. Too many "officials" do not want to acknowledge that our pumas are alive and well and in more places than are acknowledged. These beautiful cats are part of our heritage and it bugs me that they are ignored. thanks!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home