Thursday, December 25, 2008

BoB Food



It’s been a good while since I went grocery shopping with my wife and this time I noticed a lot of food items that would go well in a BoB. In times past, I got excited when tuna started being sold in retort pouches. Now there are all kinds of things sold like that. I think some folks call them “soft cans” and I even read on the ‘net where some Nervous Nellies were spinning a conspiracy theory involving these most excellent food containers. Some people just want to worry…

Some things like instant soup in individual envelopes are not new - I used them when I was a teenaged backpacker. But tuna now comes in a whole lot of flavors and I picked up some Sweet and Spicy. On the same aisle I noticed chicken in similar pouches. Garlic and Herb and Southwest Spices – mm-mmmm! Energy bars come in a wide variety of flavors and compositions also. I picked up some tea bags in individual packages and I forgot to get coffee “tea bags” but I will get some of those next time.

I used to carry Gatorade in Ziploc baggies but no more! It now comes in little individual packages also. I like individual packaging in BoBs because it is tougher than carrying powdered whatever in a baggie.

Obviously, a lot of this stuff requires water to reconstitute or use correctly – but not all of it does. Anyway you shake it, you are going to need to procure and purify water. Fortunately, the area in which I live and would conceivably bug out over has plenty of water.

I picked this stuff up while we were shopping for a Christmas party (the “Bad Sweater Party) so I really didn’t have time to look all over the store but I will be going back. I plan on trying out this and other foods on the 5th Annual Winter BoB Exercise coming up next month.

Anyway, just thought I’d share a bit because some of this was new to me.

Maybe I just need to get out more…

Hey – Merry Christmas!

And there were in the same country shepherds abiding in the field, keeping watch over their flock by night. And, lo, the angel of the Lord came upon them, and the glory of the Lord shone round about them: and they were sore afraid. And the angel said unto them, Fear not: for, behold, I bring you good tidings of great joy, which shall be to all people. For unto you is born this day in the city of David a Saviour, which is Christ the Lord. – Luke 2:8 - 11
.................................................................................

If you have any comments I’d love to hear them.
If they really interest me, I may even post them.
You can reach me at Joe

You can also join us to discuss this and other issues at Viking Preparedness Forums

Prepared Americans for a Strong America

4 Comments:

At 26/12/08 16:22, Blogger Preparedwarrior said...

Perfect BOB food!! The only thing I would add is the dried fruit that now comes in the "tuna" bags. I have dried cranberries or craisins. Just opened a pack that had been in my storage room for the past year. The package and the contents are in mint condition. Thanks

 
At 27/12/08 10:37, Blogger Mattexian said...

There's also Spam in individual serving packages, and some of those Gatorade mixes in little tubes that can be added to 20 oz. water bottles (that are found everywhere and are a good thing for hurricane rations).

 
At 28/12/08 10:29, Blogger Mayberry said...

I've seen this stuff as well, but haven't really checked it out. Next time at the store, I will!

 
At 5/1/09 17:27, Blogger Unknown said...

Peanut Butter is great for a BOB, very high in protein, fats and calories. A big boost of energy in a small package

 

Post a Comment

<< Home