Sunday, October 26, 2008

Emergency Survival Skills



Amongst my many duties and responsibilities, joys and activities, I serve as a cadre member for USRSOG. We primarily train military and law enforcement and occasionally perform other functions of a more discreet nature but this week we were contracted to conduct an “Emergency Survival Skills” class at local community college. I was tasked to instruct the course and, as usual with these types of things, it was a whole lot of fun.

The Crew
We had a good mix of students from home-schooled teenagers to folks approaching my age and from a variety of walks of life. Good, normal, everyday Americans – God bless them all. Their reasons for taking the course varied from wanting to learn skills so that they could in turn lead others in the bush to concerns about the current state of affairs, to one woman who said, “I’m from West Virginia and everyone assumes I can kill a bear with a stick so I figured I’d better learn something.”

The “L” in SURVIVAL
Well, we didn’t teach them the esoteric art of Filipino stick fighting (bear module) but we did cover the basics of dealing with other more common wilderness survival situations. We built shelters, set traps and snares, built fires, made cordage and in general spent the time learning about life in the bush under less than ideal conditions.

The Weather
Fortunately for us, the conditions were ideal: after days of cold rain during which I became a wee bit concerned for the upcoming class, we had a bright, sunny, cool day to spend in the woods and fields.

I encourage each and every one of you to get out there, learn, play, and do. Learn some new skills, practice some old ones and teach others what you know.

I’ll see you out there.

For where two or three are gathered together in my name, there am I in the midst of them. – Matthew 18:20
.................................................................................

If you have any comments I’d love to hear them.
If they really interest me, I may even post them.
You can reach me at Joe

You can also join us to discuss this and other issues at Viking Preparedness Forums

Prepared Americans for a Strong America

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home