Sunday, November 25, 2007

Deer, Turkey, Shotguns, and a Tractor



Happy Thanksgiving! This is my favorite holiday - it really has not been corrupted or commercialized and it is one of two Christian national holidays. Christmas is the obvious one – celebrating Christ’s birth; but Thanksgiving is the other. The Pilgrims were thanking Who that first year? Also, it may interest you to Google President Lincoln’s proclamation and see just Who it was he was giving thanks to as well. It’s a time to spend with family and friends, a time to reflect back on the past year and thank God for all of our many blessings. I hope yours was wonderful.

Not a lot of “words of wisdom” in this one. Just figured I’d share a little of my past few days. Started out Wednesday night helping a friend drag a deer about a half mile out of the deep dark woods – that was a good Crossfit exercise, let me tell ya! When I got home I helped my wife make seven (count ‘em – SEVEN) pies from scratch. Then Thursday morning I instructed and helped butcher the deer from the previous evening. Then I was in full Feast Mode as we did our typical Thanksgiving Day meal. We had a big ol’ turkey, mashed potatoes from the garden, candied yams, stuffing, beans, Brussels sprouts, cranberry sauce, pie, pie, pie. This is the first year in a long time I did not stuff myself. I ate a little of everything but I didn’t overdo it. Felt good.

Friday my wife and kids went shopping with the rest of the masses. Unlike most of the sheeple, she had a plan in case Bad Guys tried to ruin the day. Thankfully, they didn’t. I spent the day doing chores and preparing for a defensive shotgun course I instructed on Saturday. The course went fine – we had five students and we were at it for most of the afternoon. It culminated in a scenario / course of fire where the students maneuvered through a house and engaged a whole lot of targets. The course was a basic one and was primarily designed to get the students used to movement, reloading, firing from various positions (a chair, standing, kneeling, crouching, prone, strong shoulder, weak shoulder, behind cars, next to logs) and so on. The picture up there was the 25 yard slug shot to save the little girl – everyone passed.

Today after church I got to do something I have always wanted to do – operate a tractor. Now I know some of you are saying something like, “Sheesh! Ain’t much to it” but others are probably like I was and are wondering if they could. I will tell you – yes, you can. I borrowed it from a friend and he gave me about ten minutes of instruction before he let me go. I brush hogged four of our pastures. By the time I was done I felt like I could operate that puppy just fine. Bam! Another skill for the kitbag.

All in all a fine four days. I hope you had fun also.

I’ll have some “news you can use” up shortly.
.................................................................................
If you have any comments I’d love to hear them.
If they really interest me, I may even post them.
You can reach me at vikingservices@hotmail.com

Prepared Americans for a Strong America

2 Comments:

At 26/11/07 19:03, Blogger Carlos L. Martillo said...

That looks like a LOT of fun. The shooting, I mean. I think the tractor could turn into a lot of work LOL. Truth be told, though, the tractor is one of those indispensable, invisible things that made America great.

Good blog; I check it about 3 or 4 times a week. apparently, you folks out there have these 'job' things, which interferes greatly with my net surfing. :-)
have a good one,
Sled238

 
At 9/12/07 07:56, Blogger Unknown said...

Joe,

Thanks for putting the shogun class together for us. That was the first defensive shotgun class I've taken. You increased my knowledge and skills with the shotgun. It was pretty cool to see the effect of 00 buck and slugs on your new burn barrel. Should be good air flow in that barrel, those slugs make some big holes. By the way, my buddy from the class really itching to by a social shotgun.

Take care

 

Post a Comment

<< Home