Saturday, January 09, 2010

Brrrr!



It was -15 degrees Fahrenheit this morning (that is -26 for our Celsius readers).

Some readers will scoff at such tropical temps. Others will shudder at the thought. I wasn't too terribly happy with the temperature this morning - I have thin blood owing to the fact that I was raised in very warm third-world countries. Well, that's what I tell myself anyway. But I had chores to do.

I'd like to tell you I went on some adventure but no - I simply had homestead stuff that needed to be taken care of. I shoveled ice and snow away from the mailbox down the road so we can get our mail - the plows had put a really nice "icecrete" barrier between the box and the dirt road. I had to carry water to the rabbit (two died so I'm down to one) and check on her food. Before I got there I had to shovel a new path due to the drifting snow. Then I shoveled the hump of snow at the end of our drive so nicely left there by the road grader/plow. Then I shoveled our walk way - AGAIN.

Once I got moving, I wasn't that cold. I lost the scarf and at one point took my pakool (hat) off - but not for long.

My wife was also out there. She spent a good bit of last night out in the goat shed (to call it a "barn" would be too much as you would probably envision electric lights and heat - ha!) waiting for a mamma to kid. We lost twin boys from our one meat goat yesterday and although we think they were still born, she was still concerned. As of this morning, still no babies. This morning she hauled water and hay to the goats - on foot; fed and watered the birds; walked down the road to the neighbor's to give them a belated Christmas present (we are like that); and then checked on her horse. All of this consisted of walking and much of it through "paths" of about a foot or two of snow.

Well, that's it - just a quick update. Hope y'all are warm.

See ya out there!

The sluggard will not plow by reason of the cold; therefore shall he beg in harvest, and have nothing. - Proverbs 20:4

.................................................................................

If you have any comments I’d love to hear them.
If they really interest me, I may even post them.
You can reach me at Joe

You can also join us to discuss this and other issues at Viking Preparedness Forums

Prepared Americans for a Strong America

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home